I have PMS, and I have a headache, so I feel pretty cranky today. I’m watching some comedies to try to remedy this, but still….this is me today:
In light of this crankiness, I’d like to complain a bit. Specifically, I’d like to complain about things people have said to me during the past year about my health issues. I know, some people give unsolicited health advice out of concern, but others are just insensitive. In no particular order, here are some statements, questions, comments, or advice I have received that have made me batty during the last 12-plus months:
- Aren’t you cold??? Certainly, it’s OK to ask this question once. Maybe this person was concerned that I was cold. Maybe she wanted to offer me a sweater. But to ask EVERY day for a week, when I have already told you I have a health condition where I get hot easily? Then joke about in front of other people that you want “hot pills” like I take? I’m sorry, it’s not cool.
- Have you tried to heal yourself naturally? As you’ve read in this blog, I am very supportive of and open to alternative healing practices. I have tried yoga, meditation, naturopathy, acupuncture, homeopathy, counseling…the list goes on and on. While these things have been somewhat helpful, it’s clear they’re not going to cure me. So yeah, I have tried “natural” cures. It’s not like I started swallowing prescription pills for the fun of it.
- I’ve read that exercise can cure this. Oh, yeah? Because I stagger along on my treadmill six days a week. It’s all I can do during a day, but I do it. On days I can’t walk well, I do chair or floor yoga. Oh, and I got sick in the middle of training for a road race. So trust me, deconditioning was NOT the cause of my illness.
- If you had a more positive attitude, you could beat this. Sure, I could use a more positive attitude. But I don’t think a positive attitude alone will cure me, any more than just thinking positively can cure cancer or diabetes.
- Isn’t is great, getting to hang out at home all the time? Oh, yes! Getting ready to lose my home, feeling like dirt 99% of the time, sitting here alone…it’s practically like a fantasy come true! Or, not.
OK…that makes me feel a little better. I needed to get that off my chest.
Please, feel free to share some “advice” you’ve received!